Monday, April 4, 2011

Hanging On and Reaching for Better Days

While I am blessed to be in the final stages of recovery from my surgery, I still have a worry in my heart for my Dad.  We've made arrangements to trek down for a visit before his planned bladder reconstruction surgery.  He's currently undergoing chemotherapy and I think this visit will break up some of the monotony of the fight.  Something to give him a  little pep in his step!  Especially before going through another major surgery.  I'm so thankful for my understanding husband and employer.

I tend to minimize my own ordeal as it is nothing nearly as difficult but I do want to give you an update of my progress for those who are concerned about the same thyroid issue.  Especially at a younger age than what is considered "the time" in a woman's life to have thyroid issues.

Let me start by saying again that it's GREAT to be able to breathe again and must also express the relief in knowing that no cancer is eating me alive.
With that, my endrocrinologist has started me on a light dose of Levothyroxine and it seems to be giving me some energy.  But I may very well need an increase to the dose, since I don't feel exactly myself.
Still hard to tell how much is recovering from surgery and how much is due to a high TSH level, giving me symptoms of hypothyroidism.
Going to blood work tests in about 7 more weeks.
Singing has been the biggest challenge.  I've had to start back at the sheer basics:  do-re-mi-fa-so-la-te-do!
More to come.......